REBLOG AND BRING THIS TO GLOBAL ATTENTION!!!!
A US judge has prompted outrage after saying that a rape victim didn’t put up a fight during her assault and that if someone doesn’t want sex, the body ‘will not permit that to happen.’
Judge Derek Johnson’s comments, which echo those of outgoing U.S. representative Todd Akin, who used the phrase ‘legitimate rape’ and said women who are the victims of rape rarely get pregnant, have drawn widespread condemnation.
The states Commission on Judicial Performance has also attacked the the judge for taking ten years off the recommended sentence for the rapist in the case, imposing a six-year sentence instead.
“In the commission’s view, the judge’s remarks reflected outdated, biased and insensitive views about sexual assault victims who do not ‘put up a fight.’ Such comments cannot help but diminish public confidence and trust in the impartiality of the judiciary,” wrote Lawrence Simi, the commission’s chairman.
Judge Johnson was making the comments in the case of a man who threatened to mutilate the face and genitals of his ex-girlfriend with a heated screwdriver. The man also beat her with a metal baton and made violent threats before committing rape and forcing oral copulation.
According to police reports Judge Johnson said: ‘I’m not a gynecologist, but I can tell you something, if someone doesn’t want to have sexual intercourse, the body shuts down. The body will not permit that to happen unless a lot of damage in inflicted, and we heard nothing about that in this case.
‘That tells me that the victim in this case, although she wasn’t necessarily willing, she didn’t put up a fight.’
The commission, which stated it only learnt of the remarks in May, 10 to 0 that Johnson deserved his public admonishment.
The judge, who has been with Orange County Superior Court since 2000 also said the rape was ‘technical’ and not ‘a real, live criminal case.’
To treat this case like the rape cases that we all hear about is an insult to victims of rape,’the judge is reported to have told the LA Times.
He is also reported to have said: ‘I think it’s an insult. I think it trivializes a rape.’
Judge Johnson has since apologised for his comments.
- maybeitsastory reblogged this from stfueverything and added:
- verbotensheep reblogged this from stfueverything and added:
- magnus3366 reblogged this from she-who-loves-the-rain
- magnus3366 likes this
- she-who-loves-the-rain reblogged this from freelovefuture and added:
- throughmeretinas reblogged this from lostgrrrls
- freelovefuture reblogged this from lostgrrrls
- thenewrorygilmore likes this
- donteverforgetthek reblogged this from sinderhella
- fancifulheartsickme reblogged this from lostgrrrls
- sinderhella reblogged this from lostgrrrls
- lostgrrrls reblogged this from stfueverything
- politiciansoc reblogged this from stfueverything
- comix likes this
- redwingjohnny likes this
- blissandzen likes this
- other-stuff reblogged this from silas216
- alice44 likes this
- silas216 reblogged this from survivorschat
- silas216 likes this
- gabichicaloca reblogged this from stfueverything
- zanbandia reblogged this from rikki-tikki-tavvi
- fleetingshadowdm reblogged this from beatingsofabesottedheart
- fantasticdoctorwho reblogged this from rikki-tikki-tavvi
- fantasticdoctorwho likes this
- rikki-tikki-tavvi reblogged this from beatingsofabesottedheart
- oliv-rose reblogged this from beatingsofabesottedheart
- oliv-rose likes this
- xmarold reblogged this from beatingsofabesottedheart and added:
- beatingsofabesottedheart reblogged this from stfueverything
- ravingsofabitch reblogged this from choosechoice
- emibumblebee reblogged this from choosechoice
- nimeowma reblogged this from stfueverything
- bitch-of-justice reblogged this from stfueverything
- cruelfountain reblogged this from stfueverything
- cruelfountain likes this
- justanotheruniqueindividual reblogged this from tinydragongina
- n64andeyeliner reblogged this from alyceislostinwonderland and added:
- janiceandherideas reblogged this from quiteapassionateswan
- feminist-fairy reblogged this from choosechoice
- chewalittlefoil likes this
- megharmony reblogged this from choosechoice
- megharmony likes this
- starling-starwing reblogged this from yj-lover
- exoskeletonazul likes this
- yj-lover reblogged this from quiteapassionateswan
- yj-lover likes this
- quiteapassionateswan reblogged this from illsevenyournine
- daydreamindenim reblogged this from illsevenyournine
- rain-down-love reblogged this from illsevenyournine